Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Description

Striking view of Pacific Congress Springs in Saratoga, California, from Thomson & West's Historical atlas map of Santa Clara County, California. Compiled, drawn and published from personal examinations and surveys by Thompson & West, San Francisco.

In the 1850s Jud Caldwell discovered springs, which were called Pacific Congress Springs because the water had a mineral content similar to Congress Springs, in Saratoga Springs, New York. In 1865, the town received its final name, Saratoga. At the same time a resort hotel called Congress Hall was constructed at the springs, named after the famous resort Congress Hall at Saratoga Springs, New York.

California's Congress Hall attracted tourists to the area until it burned down in 1903.