Scarce and highly detailed map of Waterford County, Ireland, which appeared in Charles Smith's The Antient and Present State of the County and City of Waterford: Being a Natural, Civil, Ecclesiastical, Historical and Topographical Description Thereof. Together with New and Correct Maps, the first printed history of the County.
The map shows towns, castles, seats, villages, barracks, churches, ruined churches, abbeys and religious houses, spaw wells, charters schools, roads, parish boundaries, Barroney boundaries, rivers, lakes, mountains and other details. The courses of the tides in St. George's Channel is also noted.
The map is dedicated "To the Rt. Hon. John Earl Grandison of Limerick, one of his Majesty's most Hon: Privy Council & Lort Lieutenant of the City and County of Waterford . . . "
In 1744, Smith published the full version of his THE ANTIENT AND PRESENT STATE OF THE COUNTY OF DOWN, which the DNB describes as "the first Irish county history on a large scale ever written." In the same year, he was instrumental in founding the Physico- Historical Society at Dublin, aimed toward supporting the research toward and publication of a series of county histories. In addition to this work and its predecessor, an important history of Cork appeared under the Society's auspices, and a history of Kerry followed, though the Society had by then broken up. All "form a valuable contribution to Irish topography, of which Smith may be regarded as the pioneer."