Early Plats of Los Gatos and Lexington, and larger map of part of Santa Clara County, from Thomson & West's Historical atlas map of Santa Clara County, California. Compiled, drawn and published from personal examinations and surveys by Thompson & West, San Francisco.
The map covers Part of Santa Clara County, including Los Gatos, Saratoga, Lexington, Almaden, and Union.
Lexington is a "ghost" town, now submerged below the Lexington Reservoir. Lexington started as a sawmill built in 1848 by Isaac Branham and Julian Jank. Zachariah "Buffalo" Jones bought the mill for $3000 and laid out a town called "Jones Mill". In 1860 John P. Hennings bought some of the property and changed the name to Lexington.
Lexington was a stop on the stagecoach route from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. In the 1860s, the saw mills moved up into the hills and Lexington began to lose importance. In 1880, a narrow gauge railroad from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz was completed, bypassing Lexington and accelerating its decline; its post office had already been transferred to Alma, a mile south, where the trains stopped and which was the transfer point to stagecoaches until the line was completed.
The maps include land owner names, Rancho and Pueblo lands, street names, public buildings, subdivisions, etc. One of the earliest obtainable maps of the region.