Fine early birdseye View of the original location of Notre Dame de Namur University (originally called the College of Notre Dame), from Thomson & West's Historical atlas map of Santa Clara County, California. Compiled, drawn and published from personal examinations and surveys by Thompson & West, San Francisco.
Notre Dame de Namur University was founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1851. The campus is currently located in the city of Belmont, in San Mateo County.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur came to the San Francisco Bay Area from their mission schools in Oregon. While visiting the Bay Area they established an institute of higher learning, College of Notre Dame, in the city of San Jose. The school was chartered in 1868 as the first college in the state of California authorized to grant baccalaureate degrees to women. The original San Jose campus was used until 1923, when the campus was moved to Belmont.