Detailed view of Possession Bay, South Georgia, drawn during the Visit of Capt. James Cook in 1775.
Captain James Cook in HMS Resolution accompanied by HMS Adventure made the first landing on the Island of Georgia, survey and mapping of South Georgia. On January 17, 1775 Cook took possession for Britain and renamed the island 'Isle of Georgia' for King George III.
German naturalist Georg Forster, who accompanied Cook during their landings in three separate places at Possession Bay on that day, wrote: "Here Captain Cook displayed the British flag, and performed the ceremony of taking possession of those barren rocks, in the name of his Britannic Majesty, and his heirs forever. A volley of two or three muskets was fired into the air."