One of the earliest obtainable subdivision maps of San Diego, published during San Diego's first land boom after the Civil War.
The San Diego Property Union subdivision map for Pueblo Lot 1140 was recorded with the San Diego Recorder on April 9, 1873. The present map provides a detailed treatment of the Subdivision (including several canyon blocks which have never been built) in the upper right corner, along with a general map of the City of San Diego, which locates several of San Diego's other earliest subdivisions, including New Town, Horton's Addition, Wetmore & Sanborn's Addition, Eastern Addition, San Diego Homestead Union, Kimball's Addition, Briant Addition, Middle Town, Old Town, and others.
The map also includes details regarding the lots sizes, prices and lot financing. The map identifies James Pascoe as the City Surveyor. Pascoe served in this capacity during the 1870s.
The only other known example of the map was sold at Mr. P.J. Healy's collection of rare California first editions, maps, pictures, cartoons, etc., to be sold at auction ... April 5, 6, 7, 1911 (Lot 355) and resides in the Bancroft Collection at the University of California Berkeley.