Second edition of this rare map of part of northeastern Peru with the Marañon River at the top, the Ucayali River at right, the Huallaga River in the center and Lima at lower left, prepared from the original manuscript maps of Father Manuel Sobreviela.
Between 1789 and 1790 Father Manuel Sobreviela travelled along the Huallaga River and created a map of the area around the Huallaga and Ucayali Rivers. Sobreviela was made Guardian of the Colegio de Ocapa in 1786. The map originally appeared in Mercurio peruano de historia, literatura, y noticias publicas que da à luz la Sociedad academica de amantes de Lima, published by En la imprenta real de los Niños Huérfanos...in Lima (1791-95)
Key at lower left indicates towns populated by Christians, converts, and the unconverted, symbols defining the territory occupied by the converted and paths through the mountains. Cartographic elements include scale, degrees of latitude and longitude, names of rivers, mountains, lakes, settlements, and regions. Also includes native American man holding bow and arrows and wearing feathered headdress, and a woman and child holding birds.This second edition of the map is heavily revised, most notably the removal of the dedication to Carlos IV of Spain.