Rare early birds-eye view of Ashland, Oregon, printed in Milwaukee by Beck & Pauli, based upon an original drawn by Fred A. Walpole. The view shows Ashland from the Southwest (looking Northeast) and notes the population of Ashland (1500). Ten buildings are identified in the key below the map, including Ashland College, Ashland Mills and Ashland Woolen Factory.
Fred Walpole was the delineator of a number of views of towns in Oregon and far northern California Counties, all of which are quite rare. We were not able to locate any examples of this view on OCLC.
The history of Ashland begins witth the discovery of gold at Rich Gulch, a tributary of Jackson Creek. Settlers soon arrived to the Ashland area in January 1852, including Abel Helman, Eber Emery and his brother James Emery, Robert Hargadine and others. In order to capitalize on mining in nearby Jacksonville, Helman and the Emerys established a lumber mill on Ashland Creek (then called Mill Creek). During the 1860s and 1870s, Ashland grew, establishing a school, churches and other businesses. In 1871, the Post Office dropped "Mills" from Ashland's name. In November 4, 1872 Reverend J. H. Skidmore founded the Ashland Academy, which would become Southern Oregon University. In December 1887, Portland, Oregon and San Francisco, California were joined by rail at Ashland.