Rare view of the City of Jackson, in Amador County, California, including a view of the City and 16 vignettes of prominent business establishments and landmarks, published Kuchel & Dresel of San Francisco and lithographed by Britton & Rey.
Jackson is one of the towns founded during the California Gold Rush, when miners began working in the area near Sutter's Fort. In 1848, Colonel Alden Jackson and his party set up camp near a spring in the center of town. Jackson was, for some time, known as "Mother Lode Mecca."
There are two editions of the Jackson view, one with the extra vignettes and one without. Both were published in 1857. The most only example of the view which were were able to locate was offered in 1954 by Edward Eberstadt, Cataloue 133, Item 204 ($150.00).