Important early map of Kentucky, showing primarily the region around the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers, from northern Georgia to Western Territory.
The map is centered on the Cumberland River. Shows Southwestern Territory, Tennessee Government, area reserved for the North Carolina Troops, Donation Lands from the Commonwealth of Virignia, etc. A number of counties are located, as are towns, roads, rivers, court houses, etc. The map first appeared in Winterbotham's View of the American United States. Includes all of Kentucky, most of Tennessee, called South Western Territory and Tennessee Government. Upper left is North Western Territory with tracts called New Jersey Company, Wabash Company and Genl. Clarks Grant 150,000 Acres. Extends west to New Madrid, south to Creeks Crossing Place and a fort near Muscle Shoals, east to Harmans Station in Kentucky. Settlements include Knoxville, Nashville, Clarksville, (in Tenn.) Lexington, Louisville, Bairds Town (sic). Shows forts, traces, trails, etc.
One of the most interesting regional maps of the period.
Following Mathew Carey’s publication of the American Atlas in 1795, the second large format atlas published in America was produced by John Reid of New York in 1796. The project began as an atlas to accompany William Winterbotham’s An Historical, Geographical, Commercial and Philosophical View of the United States, but was also sold separately under the title The American Atlas.
Reid’s atlas included 20 maps. In addition, John Russell’s plan of Washington, D.C. is also bound into some copies of the Atlas. Reid’s atlas was a collaborative work, with 9 of the maps engraved by Benjamin Tanner, 5 by David Martin, two by D. Anderson and one each by John Scoles and John Roberts. Two of the maps do not include engraving credits. Each of the engravers was probably working in New York (including Tanner, who had not yet relocated to Philadelphia). According to the various entries for the maps in Wheat & Brun, the cartographic content of the maps is drawn largely from Carey’s first atlas of 1795.