Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Description

Fine image of the fortified City and Harbor of Pellacata (Pulicat), with the Dutch Fort in the foreground, constructed in 1609.

Pulicat was a strategic Dutch trading post on the east coast of India, north of Chennai, one of the few natural sea ports on the Coromandel Coast. The town served as headquarters of Dutch Coromandel between 1616 to 1690 and 1782 to 1825. Originally founded as a Portugese trading post in 1502, the population of the town was largely Portugese during the first part of the 16th Century.

Condition Description
minor soiling. On tear at bottom right, just entering printed image, with an old repair on the verso.