Re: Reply Function

  • Subject: Re: Reply Function
  • From: Bert Johnson <mandraki@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:36:08 -0400

Barry Lawrence Ruderman wrote:

> I note there have been a number of posts without replies.  I suspect that
> is because most people are not aware that the reply function is set up to
> reply to sender only, not to the list.
>
> Maphist, by contrast, is set up to reply to the list.
>
> A quick poll.  Do people want reply to list as the primary reply function
> or reply to sender.  I know some folks liked the change from maphist, but I
> suspect it may also be supressing dialogue.
>
> Always trying!
>
> Barry Lawrence Ruderman         6141 Soledad Mountain Road
> Old Historic Maps & Prints              La Jolla, CA  92037
> blr@raremaps.com                        Phone: (619) 551-8500
> http://www.raremaps.com         Fax:   (619) 456-4095
>
> This mailing list is brought to you courtesy of:
> Barry Lawrence Ruderman
> Old Historic Maps & Prints
> http://www.raremaps.com/

I very much favor having the Reply go to the sender and the Reply All go
to the group.  We have this arrangement in another group I belong to and
it has several things in its favor.  The first is of course merely
having the options available.  Everybody loves having a choice.  The
second is that a lot of chat that belongs between two individuals stays
there and not on the group line. I have several friends whom I first met
in that group by sending a brief aside commenting or complimenting them
on a msg they had sent. Conversely when two folks start to go at it fang
and claw it is practical to ask them to "step outside" and settle it
among themselves.  I realize this confounds the voyeur in all of us, but
in the long run it really has made a positive difference.