Information Requested About This Map

  • Subject: Information Requested About This Map
  • From: Robert Ross <rossmaps@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:53:51 -0800

A map new to me is CARTE DE LA CôTE N.O. D'AMERIQUE ET DE LA CôTE N.E.
D'ASIE reconnues en 1778 et 79. Par le Capitaine Cook. et plus
particulierement encore en 1788 et 89. par le Cap.ne J. Meares.  As far as
I have researched, the map is from the 1794 French edition of Voyages Made
in the Years 1788 and 1789 from China to the North-West Coast of America ?
Image size is 16.5 x 24.5" (42 x 63.5 cm)  with six folds.  The references
consulted thus far are Cox; Howes;  Stevens, Henry, Son and Stiles, Rare
Americana ?;  and Wagner.  I am confused only as to the depiction of some
interior detail in what is today's Canada's Northwest Territories, which I
assumed came from MacKenzie.  However, the latter is later than 1794.  Not
finding any illustration of the Meares map, I'm wondering if indeed it
included that interior detail (mostly water bodies, rather misshaped) or if
there was a later edition of that map which then incorporated MacKenzie's
findings.  None of the references mentioned note a Meares version later
than 1796.  However, it's possible some other author revised and included
the map such as the subsequent versions of Vancouver's maps in the first
decade of the 19th century.

Any help would be appreciated.

(I'm also curious whether this request should also be posted to MapHist).

Thanks,

Bob Ross

Robert Ross
Antiquarian Maps, Views & Related Books