Where to Post? - Opinions Please - One (& last) More Time

  • Subject: Where to Post? - Opinions Please - One (& last) More Time
  • From: Robert Ross <rossmaps@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:53:13 -0800

Greetings to all.  I posted this previously, but rather poorly worded.
Thanks to Alice Hudson for her kind, informative response ?

"Are you asking if map reference, information queries from dealers are
     welcome on maphist? Why not? We all get something from those queries,
     and, needless to say, but I will say it anyway... it is helpful if we
     know what research you've already tackled--so we aren't all running
     for our Tooley's at the same time...

     No one wants the dealers excluded from maphist and its information
     sharing role. Maphist all by itself is a terrific course in the
     history of cartography. Quirky, because the queries come from all
     quarters, but informative. Keep on asking!"

Her first paragraph shows me I didn't phrase my opinion request correctly;
thus, one more final time.  (A good part of my motivation is Roger Baskes'
prior message in response to a question raised by Barry Ruderman;
something to the effect of not posting the same or similar message/request
on both lists).

Thus ?

Now that the trade list is up and running and guidelines are being evolved,
what are the opinions of "Map Histers" & "MapTraders" regarding the posting
of the following type of questions, announcements, etc. on both lists?

(1) Questions from dealers especially but not exclusively about maps and
atlases where the reference material is either not in our own reference
libraries, difficult to find or "get-to," non-existent or sketchy;  eg.
who was the mid-19th century German publisher or mapmaker, Flemming?

(2)  A new "hard copy" or "on-line" antique map catalog is now available.

This assumes, correctly I assume, that not all MapHist members belong to
MapTrade and vice-versa.

Thanks.

Bob Ross

Robert Ross