Johnson Atlases

  • Subject: Johnson Atlases
  • From: "Ira S. Lourie" <ilourie@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:50:13 -0400

Barry Lawrence Ruderman wrote:

> An open note to maptrade and Ira Lourie,
>
> I had heard that Ira's scholarship on Johnson was without peer.  Isn't it
> about time he published or at least made the breadth of his scholarship
> available to a hungry public?
>
> So Ira, is there any way to obtain more than merely a tantalizing taste of
> your work?

I am in the last stages of putting my data together.  In preparation to put together a
book, I am looking for information about Johnson, in particular, and subscription
atlases, in general, all of which is scarce.  At the end of this month, I will spending
some time in the Yale Library's Manuscript Division looking at a series of letters that
Johnson wrote to his New England representative.  I don't know what they will have in
them.  The only other things I've found are the article in the Map Collector several
years ago about selling Colton Atlases by subscription, and a reference to a late 19th
century book, "How Tis Done", which has a description of the sale of county atlases by
subscription (a different process, I think, than selling world atlases).

If anybody has other sources of information, please let me know.  And, if anyone has a
1879 Johnson Atlas, I need data from it to complete my study.