Re: requests for info

  • Subject: Re: requests for info
  • From: "Far West Trading Co." <farwesttc@sisna.com>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 19:12:47 +0000

Tom brought up ebay as a source for determining retail prices. While it
is true that some of the better known and more expensive pieces normally
do sell at or near established retail, less common but still quite
desirable items run the gamut. I have seen maps that regularly list in
the $500+ range in Rosenthals not get an opening bid of $100. I have
seen common atlas maps that I sell for $40-$60 sell for $150. There are
too many variables and the market is too new to use ebay as a decent
guide to fair market value. Fair market value being "the price agreed to
by an informed buyer and knowledgeable seller when there is no forced
sale." One of the major variables is uninformed sellers that describe an
item so poorly or in such glowing terms that the final price has no
relationship to a realistic value. Another variable is that it only
takes two people that want a specific item to make an auction price that
will probably never repeat. Auctions in general are not a great
indicator of true market value for all but the rarest or most desirable.
 That said, by watching ebay, reading the offerings carefully with an
eye to accuracy and actual condition, and using multiple auctions it is
possible to see market trends and determine what people are willing to
pay for an item consistently. Also by watching ebay, the question
originally asked about 1900-1970 atlases can be answered fairly well.
There is basically no market demand for post WWI atlases unless they are
exceptional and rare. While the desiribility of early 20th century
atlases is increasing, there are very few that normally sell for over
$100.
Myron West
Far West Trading Co.
<http://www.sisna.com/farwesttc>