Augmentations

  • Subject: Augmentations
  • From: Barry Lawrence Ruderman <blr@raremaps.com>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:25:32 -0700

As a follow up to Larry's thoughts, I offer the following:

1.	As the owner of maptrade, I have only one firm desire: that maptrade
become as broad a forum for map collectors, dealers, and other antique map
enthusiasts as its subscribership will allow.  It is not a list for
dealers, although I'm hopeful it will be filled with commercial offerings
to far flung  new customers as well as insightful "from the trade"

2.	There is bound to be a fair amount of material discussed on this list
which will be just as well posted to maphist, although invariably the lists
will diverge.  While this list was spawned by the proddings of the
academics to filter out the more commercial and mundane postings, I suspect
many of the core map antiquarians among the academics were quietly
disappointed by the perceived need for a second list...Peter's posting on
the Garcia y Cubas atlas demonstrates that revelations can be found in all
periods of publication if one truly enjoys the totality of the history of
printed maps.

3.	There will indeed be archives, a homepage and a set of guidelines for
maptrade, just as soon as my poor overworked tech support can turn its
attention to these tasks. (poor guy runs his own website with 5000 visitors
a day).

Thanks to Larry Day for his thoughts...its nice to see fresh names  and input.

Barry Lawrence Ruderman		6141 Soledad Mountain Road
Old Historic Maps & Prints		La Jolla, CA  92037
blr@raremaps.com			Phone: (619) 551-8500
http://www.raremaps.com		Fax:   (619) 456-4095