Re: New Offering from Barry R. - also regular MapHist?

  • Subject: Re: New Offering from Barry R. - also regular MapHist?
  • From: Robert Ross <rossmaps@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 17:13:00 -0800

I'm curious the reaction of members of this list as to Barry's request.  I
see nothing wrong, inappropriate, ill-advised, ad nauseum, about also
posting such a request to all of MapHist.  So at the start of this maptrade
process, perhaps we should come to some sort of understanding, etc., as to
what we also (or just) should/can/ ought to post on MapHist.  I suppose the
response should come from the folks on MapHist as well.

Barry, sorry, I have no information about Bromme.

>I am preparing a description on Traugott Bromme and was curious if anyone
>had any information to add.  The description of the map is as follows:
>
>Post und Reise-Kart Vereinigten Staaten von Nord-Amerika.  Nebst Angabe
>aller Kanale & Eisenbahnen nach Tanner, Mitchell, und den Berichten des
>General-Postamts bearbeitet von Tr. Bromme.  1836. Traugott Bromme.
>Baltimore, 1836.  Handcolored (22x18)
>
>A rare German edition of Tanner's map of the United States from his
>American Traveler's Guide.... The map accompanied Bromme's Reisen durch die
>Vereinigten Staaten..., published in Baltimore and (probably) Leipzig in
>1836. Shows the United States to just east of the Mississippi, with 17
>insets of cities plans and the Hudson River.  Bromme published a number of
>travel guides with maps between 1835-1865.  Several, such as this one, were
>printed in the United States (Baltimore Verlag von C. Scheld & Co.).
>Rumsey lists several Bromme maps, but none before 1848 and describes the
>American imprints as rare.  Phillips lists no examples prior to 1853.  See
>Howes B800 (listing an 1834-35 and an 1838 edition, but no 1836 edition).
>Bromme also issued imprints listing Philadelphia, Hamburg, Bayreuth, and
>Stuttgart.
>
>Does anyone have additional information on Bromme?
>
>Did Tanner license the use of the map?
>
>Was the map really issued in Baltimore, or was von Scheld & Co. simply the
>American agent?
>
>All help appreciated
>

>This mailing list is brought to you courtesy of:
>Barry Lawrence Ruderman
>Old Historic Maps & Prints
>http://www.raremaps.com/

Robert Ross